Thursday, March 31, 2011

Knitalittle's story

It's been over a year since the project was last updated; it's entirely my fault!  I admit it!  However, I bring to you a fresh story with the hopes of a fresh start.  Enjoy KnitALittle's knitstory:

I come from a none knitting family. My mother had to work out side the home and never took up knitting. My grandmother sewed beautifully but didn’t knit. So why did I become a knitter/crocheter. It started when on one of my mums days off she took us to the park. While played I spotted a woman knitting. Back when I was a girl some years ago you cold talk to strangers. I asked her what she was doing like any nosy girl and expected her to shoo me away. She didn’t and told me she was a knitting a vest for her son. I still remember the brown yarn how she worked it, the feel of the wool. When I returned to my mother I asked her to teach me to knit. She admitted to me that she didn’t know how. Well I asked my mother over and over how I could learn to knit, a real pest I was when I wanted to do something. My mum put up with my harping and one summer a friend of her’s came over with a crochet hook. Crochet I didn’t want to crochet at first. Peggy Tippy was her name and she promised to teach me to knit if I learned to crochet first since she was better at crochet and thought I would like it as much as she did. Well I did like crochet and made progress. A month before we went back to school Peggy taught me to knit. I loved it. The next summer I thought I would continue my lessons only to find out Peggy had passed away. I was heart broken. She was the only person who could help me. For years I knit what I could and taught myself how to fallow a pattern. I was a knitter who just happened to like to crochet too. It was only when I got married years later did I really become addicted. I had married the son of a knitter and she taught me how to turn a heel. Later on when I came into my own right as a knitter I learned how to turn a heel using short row and showed my mother in law a turn achievement for me.

I am now the lady on the bench knitting and answering questions. At my youngest school the kids come up to me and ask me what I’m knitting. Just in the last few months the kids have asked to start a knitting club. I was asked to teach each of the girls and boys to knit. We use chop stick slightly sharpened and sanded and yarn from my stash is wound up in balls and ready for the kids. They have name the club the chop stick knitting club. A great bunch of knitters they are turning into.

No comments:

Post a Comment