Sunday, February 14, 2010

An Introduction and About the Project.

Hey guys! Nice to meet you all. My name is Amy and I’ve been knitting for a decade or so. I’m a historian by trade, and completed my Master’s earlier this year. Although my MA thesis had nothing to do with knitting, it occurred to me while reading Anne MacDonald’s No Idle Hands: A Social History of American Knitting, that it needed updating. I’m considering pursuing a PhD in the subject, and I though it would be an interesting grassroots project to begin collecting fellow knitters’ personal recollections of how they came to be knitters, and their personal histories with knitting. Thus, the KnitStory project.

With your gracious help and permission, I would like to collect as many histories as possible and catalog them on this blog. Further, we've also got a Ravelry group started (just search KnitStory project and we're there!)  I just want to see how big I can make this thing, and see what will become of it. Feel free to post your history, pictures, and whatever else suits your fancy so long as it’s personal and knitting-related and I’ll try to get it up as quickly as possible and to keep the discussion going.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment