Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Knitstory 2: Tina's Story

Our second contribution, from Tina...
I am a 60 year old mother of 7 (not all biological), grandmother of 13, and great-grandmother of 5. I am married and teach mentally ill children in a residential treatment center.

When I was about 6 years old my mother, who was mentally ill and had physical handicaps as well, wanted to share her talent for knitting with me. She didn’t have a lot of patience but she tried. By the time I was old enough, I joined a 4-H knitting club and learned how to perfect what Mom had started. During my 4-H years (9-17) I made everything from scarves to a full length jumpsuit. I continued to knit as a hobby and I had my first child (her christening gown was hand knitted lace) at age 19. At first I just made things for friends and family. By the time I was about 23, people asked if I would knit things for them if they paid me. My husband died when I was 23 leaving me with two small children. Therefore, I got my needles out and made some extra money.
I continue to sell my knitting. I have not made anything for myself for a very long time. I have yarn for a sweater coat (heather gray) and for a sweater (burnt orange) for myself and when my stash gets lower I will get to work on them. I am retiring from special education within the year and am going to work more hours on my side job as a tailor/designer. I did an apprenticeship when I was in college and have been a master tailor since 1978. I am excited about this new step in my life.
In addition, I have enjoyed teaching my special education students how to knit. I work in a treatment center and many of the boys don’t have families. I have enjoyed watching them create beautiful scarves and blankets. I have no idea what I would do if I didn’t have knitting as a way to relieve stress. At our local yarn shop most of the knitters who drop by and sit to chat are either teachers or retired teachers. A therapist could have fun researching that fact.
 Find Tina on Ravelry!

No comments:

Post a Comment